What is the difference between heprin and coumadin?

One is a shot and one is a pill. Heparin works earlier in the clot process in your body, therefore acts faster then coumadin. This is the reason you are on heparin first, then start coumadin while still on heparin.

Anonymous

They are very similar, see for yourself.

Coumadin (warfarin) is an anticoagulant (blood thinner). Coumadin reduces the formation of blood clots by blocking the formation of certain clotting factors.

Read more at: http://www.drugs.com/coumadin.html

I think you meant "Heparin".-

Heparin is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) that prevents the formation of blood clots. Heparin is used to treat and prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries, or lung

Read more at: http://www.drugs.com/heparin.html

Take care,

maso.-

dudeboy 8 Nov 2012

Why does coumadin affect your INR and heparin does not... or if lovenox shot do affect the INR... then how do you know which is working the lovenox or the coumadin? I am so not understanding this and usually I am not a stupid person!