What is the difference between drug and medicine?

Hello shafimansoor. Just a guess on my part. A drug is a substance that is created to help in the treatment of an diagnosis. Often a drug is combined with another part (s) of other drug (s) to make a medication. Cough syrup might be a good example. Best regards,pledge

Therapeutic agent; any substance, other than food, used in the prevention, diagnosis, alleviation, treatment, or cure of disease. For types or classifications of drugs, see the specific name.

To administer or take a drug, usually implying an overly large quantity or a narcotic.

General term for any substance, stimulating or depressing, that can be habituating or addictive, especially a narcotic.

A drug.
The art of preventing or curing disease; the science concerned with disease in all its relations.

The study and treatment of general diseases or those affecting the internal parts of the body, especially those not usually requiring surgical intervention.

Take care,

Anonymous 4 Mar 2012

Very consise answer... Mary

Anonymous 4 Mar 2012

Thank you Mary.

The difference is... intent

They are both different terms for the same thing, more or less. Both terms are chemicals that have an effect on the body. The term medicine usually implies that the drug is helpful to cure or to alleviate symptoms; to treat a disease. A drug may or may not be helpful like in the case of illicit drugs or experimental drugs. So all medicines are drugs but all drugs may not be medicine.