Cymbalta - what percentage of people on this medication gain weight?

This question has also been asked and answered here:
Cymbalta and Weight Gain?

Weight gain is uncommon with cymbalta as it usually has the side effects of loss of appetite, diarrhea and nausea. 9 % of people taking it report a loss of appetite, and up to 2 % of people report weight loss compared to 1 % of people reporting a weight gain (Mayo clinic).
However, people who discontinue Cymbalta are at high risk of binge eating and weight gain (cymbalta withdrawal forums).
On a personal note, depending on why you are considering taking cymbalta, I would suggest some serious online research before starting to take it as it is a rather expensive medication that has not lived up to the expectations as outlined by the drug company.
Even youtube has some interesting videos from people who took it.
If you are going to try it for chronic or nerve pain - don't waste your time and health.
You can ask me private questions if you want, I am now cymbalta free.
Take care of you

bestpup 4 Apr 2013

I agree with you 100% lady 2882. I myself also took cymbalta with the impression it was miracle chronic pain med. Despite taking it for a year, I must admit it did nothing to elevate my chronic lupus pain. And yes I too found it way to expensive. One must be there own judge and jury when it comes to new designer drugs. Your friend bestpup

warsop87 17 Aug 2013

I was just put on cymbalta for my depression/anxiety. I have had diarrhea and I have felt sick so far. What are the risks?

I started taking cymbalta for depression in 2006 at the age of 45 and gained almost 100 pounds in less than 2 years. My waist increased by 8 inches. I developed type 2 diabetes and became increasingly more depressed. And although my eating habits didn't change and I could not understand why I got so heavy, i had no idea it was because of the cymbalta. It wasn't until I changed doctors and he made me aware, weaning me off cymbalta and onto prozac.

I'm happier now, but losing that weight is a long hard battle. Had I known then it would reek havoc in my life and on my body, I never would have started it. For 7 years I took 90mg (one 60 and one 30mg tablet, increased because I was still depressed). Now I walk with a cane, lost the cartilage in my knee and have difficulty getting around. I feel like an old man at 52.

Be careful with this drug. I wish you all the best.
Louis

They say 1% of people gain weight on Cymbalta which seems awfully slim to me (no pun intended lol). I spoke to my pharmacist AND physical trainer who both said everyone they know has gained on this med. I have personally gained 25 lbs and COUNTING! I just cannot seem to ever get full! I am even seeing a nutritionist who wants me to load up on fiber and protein but I crave carbs to help to fill me up. Now I'm on topamax to counteract cymbalta's appetite -inducing pangs. Has anyone else endured this?

zak4208 19 Dec 2013

I started Cymbalta two months ago... took Effexor XR previously and stopped taking it for two years. After sinking in to a deep depression my Dr. indicated that he couldn't just put me back on Effexor XR... he should prescribe something stronger. I've been taking 60mg of Cymbalta for two months & I have gained more than 30 pounds... my diet has been improving... my blood work is awesome... my weight continues to increase each time I step on a scale... and my blood pressure has gone from 120/80 to 149/105... today I convinced my Dr. to switch me back to Effexor XR... I will keep you up to date... I am on a blood sugar medication that makes me feal saciated... and that has helped with the diet... not over eating! Good Luck! Happy Holidays! Zak

been on this drug 8 days gained a dress size ,at least. waist especially unrecognizable. crave carbs , constant hunger . I'm a runner and gym addict . I have not ran or trained due to lethargy .I'm coming off it .this gain so soon is horrendous , makin me depressed looking and feeling this way .