Can you consume alcohol while taking depakote?

Hey bryce,

The following warning accompanies the use of alcohol while taking depakote:

ethanol ↔ divalproex sodium

Applies to: Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol), Depakote (divalproex sodium)

GENERALLY AVOID: Alcohol may potentiate some of the pharmacologic effects of CNS-active agents. Use in combination may result in additive central nervous system depression and impairment of judgment, thinking, and psychomotor skills.

MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving CNS-active agents should be warned of this interaction and advised to avoid or limit consumption of alcohol. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring complete mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Liver toxicity has been noted with depakote and alcohol affects the liver, so staying away from alcohol is recommended.

Best wishes,

Laurie