Can this medication Risperdal can cause breast leak even if you're not having a baby?

Yes. Risperdal raises your prolactin level. Prolactin is a hormone. Pregnant and nursing women have very high levels. Prolactin stimulates lactation. So even if you are not having a baby your breast can leak because your prolactin levels are most likely raised due to the Risperdal. You can ask your provider to monitor your prolactin level... there is a simple blood test available. It is nothing to be alarmed about though.

yes risperdol can cause your breast to leak i am a witness of that. after starting risperdol my breast became tender and appeared to be bigger than usual and i call my self rubbing them to sooth the pain and a fliud escaped from them. i wasnt to worried because my doctor already told me that its a possibility that they would. my only problem was she didnt say anything about them hurting. they felt like they did after i gave birth to my daughter in 05 i was so upset i couldnt even lay on them. so your breast lactating is normal when taking risperdol so dnt worry

Yes it is possible for breast to leak milk while taking risperdal without being pregnant it happened to me in I though I was until I met with my doctor. So as soon as you can get to the doctor in check it out to be sure its nothing more or serious...

Risperdal can cause breast leaking (galactorrhea). Check on the web site and look under diagnosis and management of galactorrhea. At the bottom of the page is a list of medications associated with breast leaking and Risperdal is one of them.

LaurieShay 2 Jul 2011

Thanks for the info! Learn something new everyday.

Breast leakage is not listed as a side effect of this medication.

Side effects for future reference:

I suggest you contact your Dr. when you have the chance and explain to him / her what you are experiencing.

All the best,

You do not list your age or conditions, but you need to see a doctor immediately about this breast leakage. This one sign of breast cancer. Have you ever had a Mamogram? Is there tenderness or lumps around the nipple? Do you do self exams regularly? Is there a family history? All questions you need to ask yourself & be prepared to answer to your doctor. Good luck to you...

Hey JazzyJ,

As Maso said, I doubt the nipple discharge is from the risperdal. That being said, it does need to be evaluated by a doctor. While it probably is a benign situation, nipple discharge can be indicative of a more serious condition. Please have your gynecologist evaluate the color and consistency of the discharge as soon as possible. For further reading about this condition, try the following link:

Best wishes,