the skin is broken from scratching and the person has allergic reaction to poison ivy in the blood stream.
31 Jul 2011
No - mupirocin is an antibacterial ointment used to treat infection. It should only be used on the recommendation of a doctor.
Talk with your pharmacist for professional advice.
First Aid treatment for Poison Ivy Rash from http://www.drugs.com/enc/poison-ivy-oak-sumac-rash.html
"Wash the skin thoroughly with soap and warm water. Because the resin enters skin quickly, try to wash it off within 30 minutes. A product called Tecnu, available in camping stores and some pharmacies, is very effective at removing the oils.
Scrub under the fingernails with a brush to prevent the resin from spreading to other parts of the body.
Wash clothing and shoes with soap and hot water. Resin can linger on them.
Promptly bathe animals to remove the oils from their fur.
Body heat and sweating can aggravate the itching. Stay cool and apply cool compresses to your skin.
Calamine lotion and hydrocortisone cream can be applied to the skin to reduce itching and blistering. Bathing in lukewarm water with an oatmeal bath product, available in drugstores, may soothe itchy skin."
- Mupirocin Information for Consumers
- Mupirocin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Mupirocin (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
I have a 'contact dermatitus' rash that appears to be from Poison Ivy (no idea when I was in poison ivy so not really sure what it is). I ...
1 answer • 13 Jun 2010
1 answer • 14 Sep 2010
Mupirocin ointment usp 2 work for balanitis, penis?
1 answer • 19 Jul 2012
like if it were left in a hot car for a day, will that affect its effectiveness?
1 answer • 18 Oct 2012
have had poison ivy for a week now. hitting its peak. will this help?
2 answers • 23 Jun 2013