Can I use clobetasol propionate cream for poison ivy?

Clobetasol is a cortisone type med that is mainly used to treat psoriasis. I'm not sure if it would help poison ivy. Poison ivy does respond to cortisone as far as itching goes. I dont think it would hurt you to try it, if it what you have on hand. You might be better served with some OTC hydrocortisone though. With either med, wash the area with soap and water, pat dry gently and apply a THIN layer of cream to the affected area up to 2-3 times a day. If the poison ivy lesions are very bad or cover a large area, you are better off going to the Dr for a Medrol pack.

Trader1 7 Jul 2014

My dermatologist gave me a Rx for Clobetasol Propionate .05% cream specifically for my poison ivy. Over the counter EVERYTHING did not work and this cleared it up in 2-3 days. My answer to your question would be ABSOLUTELY!

lablvr47 8 Aug 2014

I agree 100% with Trader1. I have a tube of this cream (the generic version) and I apply it as soon as I see poison ivy on me; I get it every year. The cream clears the poison up with 2-3 thin applications. It's the ONLY thing I've found that kills it so quickly, and most of us know how bad it is to get a case of poison! I've been given the pills and creams by my dermatologist in the past and they didn't work at all.