Bactroban - is it okey to use on diaper rash?

Although it won't do any harm it is not advisable to use an antibacterial (Bactroban) on diaper rash (due to overuse causing resistance).

Diaper rash is a fungal infection so an antifungal (such as miconazole) is more appropriate. If the rash is red and inflammed you could apply a low dose hydrocortisone cream very thinly once or twice and that should get rid of the inflammation. Then keep on applying antifungal cream.

If it's really bad and doesn't resolve please get your baby seen by a doctor.

Anonymous

Marvell is exactly right and I have no idea why more doctors don't recommend monistat to heal it up. When a baby had a loose bowel movement or diarrhea, the yeast from the intestinal tract comes out too and burns the babie's skin and the movement creates problems also. You also can clean the baby's bottom well and paint it with liquid mylanta, which will neutralize the acid in the movement and then let the bottome dry by fanning it with a diaper and then use the miconazole and it will heal up very quickly.