Bactrim DS - is this a form of penacillin?

Bactrim DS is not a form of penicillin. It contains sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim and is a synthetic antibacterial combination product.

However, if you were inquiring about Bactrim being a penicillin because of allergy reasons then people who are allergic to penicillin will most likely be allergic to Bactrim because of the Sulfur group, which they both have. The sulfur is generally the cause of the allergic reactions.

Marvell 9 Aug 2009

Hi. Just wanted to correct my answer. I was incorrect in saying that people allergic to penicillin are likely to be allergic to Bactrim as well. That is not the case. It is generally safe to take Bactrim even if you are allergic to penicillin.