Bacterial Infection - Can I use augmentin to treat yeast infection?

Anonymous

No, it will actually make one worse. Yeasts are fungi and you must treat with an antifungal treatment such as Monistat. You can even get the store brand of monistat, or call your doctor to get an rx for diflucan also known as fluconazole. It is an oral pill that treats yeasts infections orally. Antibiotics cause all the good bacteria that keep the yeast in check to be killed off, this allows the yeast to have a population explosion, causing a yeast infection. Monistat has several treatments, a 7 day, a 3 day and an overnight ( or over day for that matter) formula, you can use the cream to also treat the skin on the outside to get relief or some over the counter cortisone, or both, just don't glob it on, you want that area as cool and dry as possible for the skin to heal.

Hey Maed,

Was just wondering, are you sure it is a yeast infection and not bacterial vaginosis or other type infection? May want to check the symptoms against the following:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=99318

It describes the differences and causes of these two type infections. It is important to treat the infection correctly, that is why I mentioned this.

Best wishes,

Laurie

NO. Augmentin (an antibacterial) will worsen the yeast infection since it will destroy the normal flora which balances all parameter and hence keeping such conditions at bay. Yeast infection is fungal and hence you need antifungals to treat, either topicaly by use of local acting gel or cream which tend to be fast acting and/or by using orall medications which will act systemically. Best advice is to see your Dr. So that he/she can do differential diagnosis and give proper medications. Thanks.