Can you drink alcohol while taking augmentin?

Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking the antibiotic. The alcohol will not stop the Augmentin from working.
There are certain antibiotics where alcohol must be avoided such as Metronidazole, Tinidazole and Bactrim because the combination may result in a severe reaction. Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.
There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with Augmentin.
However, if you have an infection, it is probably a good idea to avoid alcohol to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.

Hi sorry to disagree but from experience i understood the alcohol will affect the efficacy of the augmentin, and i'v not heard of the 2 combined causing a reaction/infection? Sorry if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure i'm not

suzanne66 7 Dec 2012

Alcohol does not affect the efficacy of Augmentin.

Delila 8 Dec 2012

My doctor told me when he prescribed this medication to me 2 years ago that alcohol will prevent the Augmentin from working to it's full potential

This article about alcohol and antibiotics may also help with this question:
http://www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-alcohol.html

Delila 11 Dec 2012

Hi, thanks for that, was an interesting read : )

I was prescribed this a week ago for an ear infection - I just called my pharmacist and asked this question, just to be safe. He said drinking in moderation was fine and would not impede the effects of the medication. (Moderation is the key word though!)