My urologist the said generic probably would not be available for awhile as it is an "orphan" drug, meaning I guess that it is the only one of it's type developed specifically for IC. However, I take Cymbalta 60mg as prescribed for depression, and now it is an approved med for fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis and diabetic neuropathy. Talk about a wonder drug! Maybe with this development the generic version of elmiron will be released... I know it is ridiculously expensive without insurance, and my copay went from $30. to $50 per month. At this point I don't think I would continue taking it even if a generic were to become available.

My main problem is constant pain and pressure... I did had an interstim trial which helped with the frequency but didn't touch the pain and caused a bout of diarrhea that lasted for a week even after the test probes were removed.