I tried to post replies to some people on this site and for some reason I do not have access. But I really want to share this information. When I was waiting to be tested and scared Suboxone would show up, I was frantically searching the Internet and there were so many conflicting opinions on the issue. It was maddening. The problem was that most people didn't seem to have first-hand experience. I now do.

If you're wondering if Suboxone shows up on a home drug test kit, then read on.

My husband made me take a drug test and I am taking Suboxone. It was the FirstCheck test, the one that tests for opiates and other prescription drugs. It was $40.

I was scared out of my mind that it was going to come up positive for opiates or even for something else but it did not. I won't talk specifics of my Suboxone use, but if anyone was going to test positive- if it was going to show up on the test- it would be me. It came up NEGATIVE!!

So the answer to the questions "Does a home drug test kit test for Suboxone?" and "Does Suboxone show up as an opiate on a home drug test kit" is NO, it does not.

This is my understanding of Suboxone and drug tests: Apparently the kits that can be purchased for home use do not test for Suboxone, nor do they detect Suboxone (that means that it won't show up as an opiate). The test that my doctor's office uses also does not detect Suboxone. But if you go somewhere to be tested, there is a really expensive test that can be run and THAT WILL detect Suboxone, though I don't know if it shows up as Suboxone specifically or if it just shows up as an opiate. I heard that this test costs about $300. Though that may be untrue. It's just what I heard. So if you are about to start a job, etc. and are being tested by a company, they may have access to a test that will detect Suboxone.

I can't explain any of this. I have no idea why one test will detect it and another will not since Suboxone is an opiate and an opiate antagonist. Maybe the detection level cutoffs have something to do with it? Certain tests are set to certain cutoff levels so that with some tests, usually the home tests, you can have a certain level of a drug in your system but it won't register. For example, you took opiates three days ago. By now most of the drug has passed through your system and you no longer have enough of it in your system for it to be detected by a home test kit because that test kit is "programmed" to give a "negative" result if the drug level is under a certain number. But let's say you go and have your blood tested and that test will show ANY amount of the drug in your system. Even though you took it a few days ago and most of it is out of your system and a home test kit would not detect it, your employer has opted to use a test that detects any and all amounts of drugs. Then, basically, you're screwed.

I also know that I shot some morphine at noon one day. I went to my doctor about four hours later. He did a drug test and it came back negative for all drugs. I had only done a tiny bit of morphine and for some reason after four hours it wasn't even enough to detect for the test that my doctor has. Strange, but true.