How long can female patients take finasteride and spironolactone for Androgenetic Alopecia?

Finasteride is not indicated in women. Minoxidil may be of benefit.

Treatment with spironolactone is life long.

See http://www.drugs.com/rogaine.html

its contraidicated for woman...
so dont use it

The reason finasteride isn't recommended in the U.S. for use in females is the clinical trials were conducted on males. Women in other countries use it.

16 days ago

Any treatment for androgenetic alopecia is lifelong. The only FDA approved treatment for female genetic hair loss is minoxidil.

The hormone blocking medications can be prescribed. However, because they are not FDA approved their use is "off label". Both drugs can harm a fetus if taken during pregnancy. Spironolactone is category D and Finasteride is category X.

Many dermatologists prescribe Spironolactone to women with female pattern hair loss. A lesser proportion prescribe finasteride on account of pregnancy concerns and often reserve it for lost menopausal women

But the answer to your question is - provided the medication is not used in pregnancy, any treatment is lifelong.

Jeff Donovan MD PhD FRCPC FAAD
US & Canadian board-certified Dermatologist
Toronto, Canada