Drinking alcohol while taking alprazolam?

Please avoid alcohol while taking alprazolam.

They have a moderate interaction.

Generally Avoid: Acute ethanol ingestion may potentiate the CNS effects of many benzodiazepines. Tolerance may develop with chronic ethanol use. The mechanism may be decreased clearance of the benzodiazepines because of CYP450 hepatic enzyme inhibition. Also, it has been suggested that the cognitive deficits induced by benzodiazepines may be increased in patients who chronically consume large amounts of alcohol.

Management: Patients should be advised to avoid alcohol during benzodiazepine therapy.

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

I wouldn't. I was prescribed xaynx and yes i did drink while taking it. Looking back i wished i didn't. They are both downers and the alcohol makes the xanyx stronger.

Tricia, take the advice already offered. Alcohol can and usually does intensify any adverse reactions you might experience with xanax, including: headaches, hallucinations, confusion, anxiety, depression, tachycardia, nausea, and vomitting. Definitely not worth the risk.

my former domestic partner has been on benzodiazipene therapy for long enough that it, alone, has caused cognitive difficulties, memory loss, muscle tremor, confusion, sleep problems, personality anomalies and more. as well, he has a chronic alcohol habit. the behaviors displayed when the two substances are combined are frightening at best. At worst, there is the possibility of fatal reaction. Each substance influences the other, heightens and intensifies physical, mental and judgement affects. both alcohol and alprazolam are central nervous system depressants. the combination is absolutely not recommended. withdrawal and recovery from these substances when used habitually are extremely difficult. a key in this post of mine is - "former" domestic partner. Please be careful.