Does Adderall XR and Ativan cancel each other out?

Adderall is an amphetamine and ativan is a benzodiazipine. They do the exact oppisite so in another words yes they can cancel each other out.

No, they dont necessarily "cancel" each other out. You will still have the effects of both but taking Ativan could decrease the stimulant activity of Adderall XR and vice versa. Please be sure that your Drs know you are on both especially if they are prescribed by two different docs.

Agree with Dzoobaby. They don't "cancel" each other out. However as the first response explained one is a stimulant and other a benzodiazepam, they have different effects. If you take Adderall for ADHD, Adderall would have a calming effect, and Ativan is anti-anxiety. Now if you are on Adderall to pick you up per se, due to lethargy/sedation for other reasons, such as my case, from multiple opiates and benzos, then it should help you focus and stay alert (I know this as I have fibromyalgia and a long list of other ailments but all causing chronic pain that are treated with pain killers, muscle relaxers and benzos, my pain mgmt doctor prescribed Adderall to counter act the lethargy and sedation, so that I have energy during the day and stay focused. But I may take my Adderall, have a panic attack 2 hrs later due to my anxiety disorder, take my prescribed Xanax, and I'm not sedated again.