Abdominal Distension - What are some main causes of prolonged, severe stomach bloating ?

Abdominal distension can be due to any of many conditions. If it persists or is recurring then you should definitely see your doctor ... more investigations may need to be done.

abdominal distension can be caused by:

Gas or feces , or fluid accumulation

with bloating it's maybe du to:

1- increased air swallowing
2-increased gas production in the abdomen (by bacteria)
3-obstruction.

increased air swallowing , du to chewing a gum , eating , smoking ...

increased gas production is du to overgrowth of the bacteria in the abdomen which in turn produce more gas.

obstruction , it's unlikely to have obstruction with out pain and it come with decreased amount of farting and stool excretion.

als it could be fluid accumulation , but it's unlikely if the patient does not has a heard , lung and kidney problems.

don't forget it maybe psychological ,

hope it's helpful !

Asemlt 1 Dec 2011

heard= heart